Saturday, September 26, 2009

Friday and Saturday in flat 137

We've barely left the flat far two days, still working to create the final examples in Robin's book that's due this weekend. I'm starting to feel like we're at the highest Mt. Everest advanced base camp, waiting to summit, and a howling storm is keeping us pinned down, unable to leave the tent.

Speaking of howling, I was reminded at 4am how much fun it is to be away from home for the first time and being a young, drunk student on a Friday night - singing, laughing, vomiting. Having graduated from a Baptist college, I never had this experience, but it sounded like a nice college bonding thing and I'm happy for them. I also hope they're sick as dogs today. Not because I'm mad, but just because it would be good for them. Peace, love, joy, happiness.

OK, I'll admit it. I wanted to send Clint Eastwood downstairs to deliver his line from Gran Torino: "If I have to come back here, it's gonna get bleepin' ugly." A disturbing movie, but it had its moments.

As soon as we get this deadline wrapped up, we've got some plans for the next week that should be fun. We hope to hook up with our friend Lynn from Oxford some evening soon. We've talked about going to Bath for a day trip. And we might try to get up to Birmingham to see Jay, the exchange student from Turkey who lived with us for a year back in 2000. And, I almost forgot, Robin's classes start this coming week.

robin-sketch4.jpg